Acquiring Financial Support For Your Children

In California, divorcing parents have a legal obligation to provide for their children to the best of their ability. How much will child support be? Who pays for child care, medical care and dental bills? What about school, extracurricular activities and sports? Who pays for college? What happens if a parent remarries and stops working because the new spouse supports him or her?

I, family law attorney William Sams, can:

  • Advise you as to the amount you will likely pay or receive for child support
  • Represent you in divorce negotiations or in court regarding child support determinations
  • Help you enforce payment if ordered payments are not being made
  • Help you modify an existing court order if circumstances warrant it

Call me at 760-657-2257 or contact me online and schedule an appointment to discuss your child support questions.

California Guidelines

California has a mandatory guideline for child support law.

The guideline provides a child support number, but it is not so straightforward or simple. Questions of what is the actual income of each parent, what can be legally deducted from the income, what expenses can be deducted, and how much time the child spends with each parent are important and must be considered. What burden does the order place on each parent? Is it fair?

Never forget that a child is at the heart of the matter. The best interests of the child are the priority of California courts in all matters that affect them. Children’s needs may include other things besides food, clothing and shelter for their growth and development.

If a negotiated settlement is possible in your case, I will help you arrive at a fair agreement. Factors generally considered include:

  • The parties’ responsibilities to any other dependents, such as children from another relationship
  • Amount of time each parent has custody
  • Parents’ medical expenses
  • Day care expenses
  • The child’s needs

Child support is required until the child reaches age 18. However, if he or she has not graduated high school, child support continues until he or she has graduated high school or becomes 19, whichever occurs first.

Need Help With Child Support Issues?

Call William H. Sams, Attorney at Law, at 760-657-2257 or contact us online for your FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION with questions regarding child support modifications. My office is in Vista, and I represent clients in California and military personnel worldwide.