Willian H. Sams
Call For A Free Consultation
Areas Of Practice

family law Archives

Adopting a stepchild: What you need to know

Adopting a stepchild has the potential to be one of the most important times in both your lives. Adoption is a serious step, though, so it's important that you know if it's the right choice for your situation. You may have seen many videos of people uniting through adoption and the love it can bring, but it also has a potential to put strain or pressure on children or their biological parents.

How is spousal support determined in court?

Spousal support can be a hot topic, but when a couple separates, it's one that has to be discussed. The court has the ability to order one spouse to pay the other a portion of his or her income as support. The support is paid monthly and usually called spousal support, partner support or alimony.

Co-parenting during the holidays is possible

The holidays are a special time for parents and children alike. In the formative years, it's a time when children learn about holidays and what happens with their families. For some, this time is stressful, and that can lead to a life where holidays are avoided or even disliked completely.

Marriage setbacks: There are ways to work through these issues

It's not uncommon for people to run into setbacks in their marriages, especially if you're in the military. With long deployments and other related factors, it's no surprise that spouses may be frustrated or lonely. You may find that your marriage is struggling, even though you thought it would last.

A domestic partnership adoption may have benefits for your family

When you want to adopt a child, you might run into an issue where you're not married but want to adopt with your partner. Whether you're hetero or homosexual makes no difference; a domestic partner adoption requires you to have at least parent go through the adoption process if he or she is not related to the child but would like to obtain parental rights.