These child support modification tips will keep you on track:
On the plus side, you know that paying child support money goes a long way in giving your child the life he or she deserves. And as a parent, there is nothing more important than that.
On the down side, you realize that this can have a big impact on your personal finances, especially if you’re already tight on money.
With all this in mind, there could be a time when you are unable to make your child support payments.
If you find yourself in this situation, you need to learn how to request a child support modification. Along with this, you must determine if it’s cost effective to go through the process.
Here are some tips to follow:
- Don’t wait to take the first step, as the court expects you to pay your current level of child support until otherwise noted
- Inform yourself of the laws in your state that govern child support
- Speak to the other parent about your difficulties, as the person may agree to a modification
- Don’t slip behind on your payments, as this will only make your situation worse
- Document your change in circumstances, as you’ll need to prove to the court that you are unable to make your current payment
- Request your child support modification with the appropriate family law court
With these child support modification tips guiding you, it’s much easier to stay on track during this difficult time. You know that you need to pay child support, but you also realize that your financial situation has changed and you are no longer able to keep up.
Once you know how to request a child support modification, the only thing left is to move through the process. Knowing your legal rights will put you in a good spot. There is no guarantee the court will grant you a modification, but you won’t know for sure until you take the necessary steps and provide all the information that is required of you.